Monday, July 20, 2009

Kickin' The Bucket

So I guess this is sort of the home-stretch of summer...under 4 weeks until I head off to school, my work in the organic chemistry lab I've worked in this summer is coming to a close, and I'm realizing I have less and less time to see all the people I won't see for another 5, or possibly 12 months. This weekend was a great way to start it all off: Thursday I went to NYC and spent the day, albeit mostly alone, to get my visa! I got to see a bunch of people there at night though (Madison, Emma, Ray, and my sister), had a great time, spent the night, and came back in the morning. I spent the rest of Friday and all of Saturday with my co-workers from the past two summers, and we always have a good time. I visited them all at work (a day camp for inner-city kids in Philly) and a ton of kids remembered me, which was a totally awesome feeling. Saturday I went out with them again for a day of fun: tubing on the Delaware River, dinner, shopping, and hanging out/relaxing poolside at night. I hadn't seen them in a really long time, so seeing them was a great time. Finally, yesterday I saw Bruno with my dad and brother, which was hilarious. Yea, it was inappropriate and insensitive, but if you didn't think it was funny then I seriously doubt you have a sense of humor.

So far, I've covered all my bases. Some family time, some friends time, and some time preparing for next semester. Plus, I've been watching the Tour de France--sadly, Lance looks like he's relinquishing his chances of winning the tour to Alberto Contador, but 2nd place isn't bad for a 37 year old man. Yet he still maintained his graciousness, even in defeat, and I believe he is one of, if not the classiest athlete in all of sports. In any case, managing all my time like this had me really thinking about my future, both near and far. Thus, I've come up with a sport-y Bucket List of things I want to do in the next 20 years, inspired by ESPN's Rick Reilly. Check it out, it's a great article, though I would certainly differ from a few of his. But I guess that's why everyone has their own bucket list.

1. Run a Marathon. Hopefully in under 4 hours. I've been exercising a few times a week to keep my body in shape, but I think it will take a lot more time, a lot more exercise, and a lot more dedication to run a marathon. I was never a great (or good) athlete, so completing one of the most difficult challenges in all of sport would be an incredible accomplishment for me.

2. Complete a Triathlon/Iron-Man. Pretty much along the same lines as the marathon, but it takes a completely well-rounded athlete to do this. Yes, I can swim 1.5km. I can bike 40km. And I can run 10km. But consecutively? I don't stand a chance. Moreover, an ironman is truly epic: 2.4mi swim, 112mi bike, 26.2mi run. A marathon AFTER swimming and running?! That's downright insane. But hey, hopefully I can give it a shot someday.

3. Catch a foul ball. I've been to at least 100 baseball games in my life, I've never caught an elusive homerun or foul ball. You figure once in my lifetime, I'll be one of the lucky 20-30 fans a game who catch a ball. Out of 40,000. If nothing else, Karma will hopefully send one my way.

4. Attend a championship clinching game, hopefully for one of my favorite teams. I can't imagine a better feeling than seeing your team win a championship, in person, surrounded by thousands of strangers with the same feeling as you.

5. Play a round of golf at Augusta National. Even though I'd have to pay an arm and a leg to get in, and even though I stink at golf, it's iconic. There's so much history there. Not to set foot on the hallowed grounds of Augusta, where so many legends have walked before, would be a crime.

6. Dunk on a basketball net. Yeah, its 10 feet tall, but this is what a bucket list is for! Plus, I would take it even if Shaq picked me up, let me sit on his shoulders, and I dropped the ball in.

7, 8, 9. Attend an event at each of the following (this could be a separate bucket list all in itself): Fenway Park (Red Sox vs. Yankees, on the Monster preferably). Wrigley Field, afternoon game. Wimbledon. See the Tour de France ride down the Champs Elysees. Kentucky Derby. The Masters. Ohio State v. Michigan at the Horseshoe. See a cricket match. And go to the World Cup.

10. Ride in the Tour de France. I watch this event every year, and I love cycling. I'm a pretty good climber, and if I ever found the motivation (besides this Bucket List) to train and excel in this sport, then riding in the TdF would be my ultimate dream...some kids want to be astronauts, I want to ride up the Alpe d'Huez--the most difficult and storied climb in the history of the tour, pictured here. I don't need to win, I don't even need to come close. I just want to do it. Hey, I can dream, can't I? While my head's in the clouds, how bout making it to the Olympics?

I like to set lofty goals...so sue me. It could happen. And if and when they do, I'll be sure to let you know and rub it in your face.
P.S. Any suggestions? Additions? Replacements? Let me know!
P.S.S. I love lists. My friend Nate wrote a great blog entry on the Top 10 moments of the year thus far. Check it out, fo sho.

No comments:

Post a Comment